The Influence of the MafiaView Fullscreen
Click thorugh the timeline to view the various cases of the Mafia throughout the United States.
Through the various newspapers and images in the timeline, it can be inferred that the Mafia was more than just a nuisance to the American public. The "Where the Blame Lies" image explains a lot about how the public viewed the immigrants coming to the country, and many of the Mafia members were a part of this group. Because of this, and the crimes that were committed by those in the Mafia, many people did not like the new immigrants entering the United States.
The map shows a great deal of different incidents that the Mafia was involved in, and this contributed the thoughts that the American public had. It had originally began mostly in the upper east side, but quickly spread throughout the continental U.S. Many historians realize that the Mafia did exist, but do not understand the scale of the problem. The map demonstrates this effectively, and provides a more clear picture of the overall problem.
1. Reppetto, Thomas. American Mafia: A History of Its Rise to Power. New York, NY: MJF, 2009. Print.
2. Bain News Service. Members of Black Hand arrested at Fairmont, W. Va. Photograph. Lib. of Cong., Washington D.C. Lib. of Cong. Web. 30 Jan. 2017. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ggb2004003246/
3."Bandit Is Popular. Musolino Highly Esteemed by Peasants of Italy." The Washington Bee [Washington D.C.] 30 Aug. 1902: n. pag. Print.
4. Hamilton, Grant, E. Where the Blame Lies. Photograph. New York, Sackett & Wilhelms Litho Co. c1891 April 4. From Library of Congress: Miscellaneous Items in High Demand. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/97515495/ (accessed April 12th, 2017)
5. The Mafia's Plot." Kansas City Times 3 Mar. 1891: n. pag. Print.
6. "Black Hand As Ad. It Startles Merchants Who Fear the Mafia. They Appeal To Police." Morning Oregonian [Portland] 31 Jan. 1906: n. pag. Print.
7. "In Spite Of "Mafia" And "Black Hand."" Augusta Chronicle 14 Apr. 1906: n. pag. Print.
8. "Attributed to the Mafia." The Saginaw Evening News 9 Dec. 1892: n. pag. Print.
9. "Work of the Mafia." The Daily Picayune [New Orleans] 18 Mar. 1891: n. pag. Print.
10. "The Dreaded Mafia." The Evening News [Detroit] 19 Jan. 1893: n. pag. Print.