Four Views of an Octagonal Birchbark Box

octagonal qb.png

The box was created in 1900 by an unknown Odawa artist in Harbor Springs, Michigan. The box is a 5 ½ inch octagon and is composed of 8 birch bark panels, a circular bottom, and a removable lid. Each panel is embellished with inlaid with a porcupine quillwork of a white flower with branching stem and leaves. The lid is similarly adorned, with a larger, more intricate flower design. The panels are held together with sweetgrass supported by a black thread (MSU Museum n.d.)

 

Credits

Aliana Schwartz, Julie Yi